- The US Open from Los Angeles Country Club tees off Thursday, June 15th
- Scottie Scheffler is the +700 favorite over Jon Rahm
- See the 2023 US Open odds, picks, and best value bets below
One week after a thrilling ending to a four-hole playoff won by Canadian Nick Taylor at the RBC Canadian Open, the worlds best tee off for the third major championship of the year. After Jon Rahm won the Masters and Brooks Koepka took the PGA Championship, the US Open trophy is what the players have their sights on.
This is the first time that Los Angeles Country Club will host the national Open, and it plays to a par 70. Additionally, it happens to be the first time LA has hosted the national Open in 75 years. It’s also the maiden time that it features five par-3’s and three par 5s in US Open history. Two of the short holes will be upwards of 300 yards, with one of them playing as short as 92 yards.
2023 US Open Odds
Scheffler is the betting favorite in the pre-tournament US Open odds, followed by 2021 US Open champion Rahm. The top-five is rounded out by last month’s PGA Champ Brooks Koepka, Rory McIlroy and Patrick Cantlay. The defending champion is Matt Fitzpatrick, who fended off Scheffler and Will Zalatoris to claim his first major title.
Odds as of June 12th at DraftKings Sportsbook. Claim a DraftKings promo code to bet on the US Open.
Viktor Hovland Poised for First Major Title
Viktor Hovland has been knocking on the door at the biggest tournaments and appears poised to join the elite club of major champions. It started at last years Open Championship, where he was in the final pairing in the final round. He wound up T-4th, which was his first of three straight top-7s in majors. As the calendar flipped to 2023, he was T-3rd at the ‘fifth major’ Players Championship, T-7th at the Masters, then T-2nd at last month’s PGA Championship. That was his best chance to secure a major, where a costly shot on the 70th hole doomed his chances.
Viktor Hovland’s Strokes Gained Stats Last Twelve Rounds
|Total||Tee-To-Green||Short Game||Ball Striking||Putting||Approach|
Any doubt that that close call at the PGA would result in scar tissue was quickly erased, as he won the Memorial Tournament two starts later, which was just two weeks ago. Five golfers have shorter odds to win outright than Hovland, so you’re getting him at decent +1800 value, particularly given his strong stats of late.
Past Five US Open Winners
2023 US Open Picks and Value Bets
- Tyrrell Hatton (+3000): Not many golfers have had a sustained run of great play that Tyrrell Hatton has. He’s been inside the top-15 in five straight tournaments, missing out on a playoff by a stroke at last week’s RBC Canadian Open. In the last 24 rounds, Hatton is second in total strokes gained and putting, and seventh tee-to-green. For the campaign, he’s third in total strokes gained, which includes a runner-up at the Players Championship.
- Justin Thomas (+5000): It’s obvious that Justin Thomas hasn’t been playing the quality of golf we’re accustomed to. He’s won two PGA Championships, so he can get it done in majors, and has a pair of top-10s at this championship. It’s not like he’s been a disaster, with eight top-25’s in his last twelve starts. At these odds, the 15-time PGA Tour winner is too good to pass up.
- Sam Burns (+6000): This year’s WGC-Match Play champion has very intriguing odds at +6000. That was his fifth victory in the last three years. Burns is a top-10 putter this season, and before a missed cut, placed T-6th and T-16th in his two previous outings. He’ll be an interesting name in the top 10/20 markets.